Wednesday, May 5, 2010

vCenter lesson learned

I discovered last night a very important lesson. the ODBC connections that are used for vCenter that points to an external database are not dynamic. By dynamic I mean trying to change the ODBC pointer in windows will not change the ODBC settings for vCenter! So after going through the register I discovered that when vCenter installs it takes the username and encrypts the current password. What this means is that if you change the ODBC username and/or password vCenter will still try to use the info it detected at install.

I am sure there was a way to change this but due to other issues I was fighting on my vCenter server and changes to our database server a reinstall of vCenter was done. This did correct the issue. One other note vCenter is smart enough when you reinstall to detect a currently used database and asks if you want to use it or create a new one.

No comments: